Wondering how to get your family to eat more fish? Enjoy these easy to make fish tacos for lunch or supper. Kids love them and so will you. Wrapped in a warmed flour tortilla, the crunchy fish nuggets paired with a few veggies and our Country Sweet Sauce will wake up your taste buds.
Serves 4 – (2 tacos each)
Ingredients for the Country Sweet Salsa
- 2 large ripe tomatoes sliced and cubed 1/2 C of
- 1/2 C of red onion thinly sliced
- ½ C Country Sweet Sauce (Hot or Mild)
- ½ C cilantro leaves shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste) juice of one small lime
Mix the ingredients altogether and set aside until it’s time to assemble the tacos. You might want to make two versions of this salsa, one using Country Sweet Sauce Mild and the other with the spicier Country Sweet Sauce Hot.
- 8 green onions sliced paper thin
- 1½ C shredded romaine lettuce
- sour cream
These are the garnishes we like but feel free to add some of your own ideas to this list. Prepare the garnishes before frying the fish so once the fish is cooked the tacos can be assembled while the fish is still hot and crisp.
Ingredients for the Crunchy Fish Nuggets
- 1 lb. fish fillets (we use haddock)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ C white flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ C panko bread crumbs
- Cut the fish fillets into small chunky nuggets.
- Mix onion powder, garlic powder, salt and flour together and spread out on plate.
- Put egg in bowl and beat lightly
- Place panko bread crumbs (we like the Japanese style panko crumbs the best because of the crunch factor but any bread crumbs will do).
- Now it’s time for the assembly line. First coat the fish chunk in flour, then dip it in the egg and finally coat it in the panko bread crumbs and place the completed fish nugget on a plate large enough to hold all of the fish. Continue this procedure until all of the fish nuggets are done. Place plate in the fridge until it’s time to fry them up.
- Use enough oil to completely cover the bottom of the pan until it’s about ¼” deep.
- Heat the oil on medium-high until it’s hot enough to fry the fish nuggets.
- Fry the fish in a few small batches so they brown nicely. Overcrowding the pan won’t work to produce the crunchy nuggets you want for the taco.
This recipe will make 8 fish tacos.
Warm the flour tortillas by dragging them across your stove burner while it’s turned on to medium or simply pop them into the microwave for few seconds (one at a time!). You can either bring the tacos to the table already assembled or let your family and guests make their own garnish choices when they assemble tacos for themselves.