Country Sweet Sauce adds a distinctive flavor to this traditional chicken pot pie recipe. If you want some extra zing then use the hot version of our sauce. You can use your own favorite pastry recipe for this two crust pie, but if you want to speed things up then simply purchase ready-made pie dough at the grocery store.
Yield 1 pie, serves 6
- 2 C chicken breast, cooked and cubed (or use left-over roast chicken, light and dark meat)
- 1 potato cubed into ½” dice
- 3 leeks, white part only sliced thinly
- ½ cooking onion diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped into small dice
- 2 carrots, sliced into small rounds
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- ½ C frozen peas
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped fine (or 1 tsp ground)
- 2 T fresh thyme, chopped fine (or 1 ½ tsp dried)
- 1 T oregano, chopped fine (or 1 tsp dried)
- ½ tsp salt
- grinding of pepper
- 3 C chicken stock
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- ¼ C + 2 T butter
- ¼ C white flour
- ¼ C Country Sweet Sauce (mild)
Preheat oven to 375 F
- Chop all ingredients and set aside individually.
- Begin by placing 2 T of butter in a medium sized stock pot. Sauté the leeks, onion, celery and garlic until tender but not to the point that they are translucent.
- Add the dried herbs and continue to sauté while stirring for about a minute.
- Now add all the rest of the vegetables and cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until they are beginning to become tender. Add the fresh herbs now.
- Once the vegetables are almost tender add 2 C of the stock. Reserve the rest for later use. Allow this mixture to come to a boil and simmer until the potatoes and the other vegetables are soft.
- In a separate small saucepan melt the remaining ¼ C of butter and then add the white flour. Use a whisk to stir this into a paste and continue to whisk while it cooks for about 1 ½ minutes until it turns a golden brown color. Now slowly whisk the last cup of chicken broth into this roux. Whisking continually, cook for a few more minutes until the sauce becomes thick and loses its floury taste.
- Add the Country Sweet Sauce and once combined add this sauce mixture into the simmering pot of vegetables while stirring constantly to blend everything together. Continue to simmer the vegetable mixture until it thickens into the desired gravy-like consistency.
- Add the cubed chicken and when heated through pour this pie filling into an already prepared 9” pie shell. Immediately cover with a pie dough top that has been previously prepared and rolled out. Crimp the edges together and slice some openings in the top of the pie to let the steam escape when the pie is baking. Place the pie on the middle rack of the pre-heated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the shell hardens and becomes a light golden brown.